Another treat we always had on the holiday feast table. Many people usually top this with meringue, but nobody in our family liked meringue, so we just ate plain old lemon pie, lol.
**P.S. This goes GREAT with my pie crust recipe. You can also mold a pie crust (or my short bread cookie recipe) into a square baking dish, bake it and then use this recipe to make "lemon squares".
Grandma Brown’s Lemon Pie
1 ½ cups sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 ½ cups water
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
3 tablespoons butter or margarine/oleo
¼ cup lemon juice
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture boils. Boil for 1 minute.
2. Slowly stir at least half of the mixture into the egg yolks.
3. Pour egg yolk mixture into the saucepan with the rest of the sugar/cornstarch mixture and blend evenly.
4. Boil 1 minute longer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Continue stirring until smooth.
5. Blend in 3 tablespoons oleo/margarine or butter, and ¼ cup lemon juice.
6. Pour into pre-baked pie shell. Cool and serve.