Thursday, December 26, 2013

Dad's Milk Gravy Recipe





My Dad was quite famous for his delicious “milk gravy”.  Again, this was a challenge for me to make into a recipe for others to follow (like my Mom’s fried chicken) because neither grandma, Dad or I EVER used a recipe.  I was taught to cook it by “eye-balling” and by smell, feel, etc.  But the ratios I’ve worked out here are pretty accurate in how we do it. 

We would slather this gravy over our pan-drop biscuits in the morning for breakfast…  Or drizzle or over mashed potatoes (or steaks, chops, etc) with dinner.  Its quite versatile, in that you can make it thicker or thinner, simply by adding less or more milk. 

It can be a challenge to master without a recipe, and in Dad’s family, there was a joke that nobody is a “real cook” yet until they learn this gravy, lol.  Its such an art form to get it right.  It should be smooth, with a light tan color.   But it was a proud day for my Dad when I finally got it down-pat!   

The first couple of times you try it, you might make a mistake.  But that’s ok.  Eventually, you will learn it.  But because its so particular, I decided to make a video of me cooking this gravy and share it.   In my opinion, that is much more useful than written instructions.  You can double this recipe depending on how many people you are feeding.  But I still put the ingredients below.  The video is under them.

Dad’s Milk (Country / White) Gravy 

3 tablespoons oil (or same amount of pan fat drippings from any meat you just fried)
6 level tablespoons all purpose flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 ½ to 2 cups whole milk

                                                      Video of me cooking this gravy:  




No comments:

Post a Comment