Thursday, January 9, 2014

Dad's Easy Coleslaw


Dad kind of surprised me with this one.   He was always asking me to get him a bunch of coleslaw every time I went by KFC...  and he never made it himself at home.  So I just assumed he didn't know how.   But one day, he said he really wanted some coleslaw, and I was broke, so I couldn't go anywhere.   So Dad just got up and walked into the kitchen.  He causally whipped up a big batch of it, like he had done it a thousand times before-- and then came in the living room with 2 bowls of coleslaw.  Handed one to me, and he sat down to eat the other.   I tried it, and it tasted a lot like KFC's!  I looked at him and asked, "Since when do you know how to make coleslaw?"  He looked up at me over his bowl, defensively, and said, "Since I worked as a cook at "The Straight" back in the 70's.  I had to make a big batch of it every day."  Funny when I think about it, but it turns out he knew all along.   Just took him 30 years to finally make some in front of me!  lol.  So I badgered him for the recipe. 

Dad's Easy Coleslaw

Ingredients:
  • 6 cups shredded cabbage
  • 1 carrot, shredded
  • 2/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoon vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1Directions:



1.      In a mixing bowl, combine cabbage with carrots, blending evenly.  Set aside.


2.      In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, oil, sugar and salt.  

3.      Add mayonnaise mixture to the cabbage and carrots.  Mix thoroughly.  Refrigerate until serving time.  Serves 6. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment