Dad kind of surprised me with this one. He was always asking me to get him a bunch of coleslaw every time I went by KFC... and he never made it himself at home. So I just assumed he didn't know how. But one day, he said he really wanted some coleslaw, and I was broke, so I couldn't go anywhere. So Dad just got up and walked into the kitchen. He causally whipped up a big batch of it, like he had done it a thousand times before-- and then came in the living room with 2 bowls of coleslaw. Handed one to me, and he sat down to eat the other. I tried it, and it tasted a lot like KFC's! I looked at him and asked, "Since when do you know how to make coleslaw?" He looked up at me over his bowl, defensively, and said, "Since I worked as a cook at "The Straight" back in the 70's. I had to make a big batch of it every day." Funny when I think about it, but it turns out he knew all along. Just took him 30 years to finally make some in front of me! lol. So I badgered him for the recipe.
Dad's Easy Coleslaw
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1. In a mixing bowl, combine cabbage with carrots, blending evenly. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, oil, sugar and salt.
3. Add mayonnaise mixture to the cabbage and carrots. Mix thoroughly. Refrigerate until serving time. Serves 6.