Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Melissa's Classic Pecan Pie






This recipe is one of my favorites! Perhaps I inherited that preference, because my grandpa on my Dad's side obsoletely loved pecan pie, more than any other. I made this for Thanksgiving many times, and it is AMAZING. But fairly simple, too. I don't chop my pecans, but you can if you like. Some people feel the pie is easier to cut with chopped nuts. But I think leaving them whole looks much prettier, and I like to bite into a nice, big chunk of pecan!

Classic Pecan Pie

Ingredients:
2 cups pecan halves
3 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons melted butter
½ cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup granulated sugar 
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 unbaked pie shell formed into its tin/dish

Directions:
 
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. 

2. Cover bottom of pie crust with pecans. 

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and melted butter. Add the corn syrup, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and blend very well. Pour mixture into the pie shell over the pecans and place on a heavy-duty cookie sheet. Wait for pecans to float to the top.

4. Bake for 10 minutes. Then lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and continue to bake for an additional 25 minutes or until pie is set. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack, about 1 hour. Slice and serve. Store covered and refrigerated. 

TIP: You can make this a chocolate pecan pie by adding a handful of chopped chocolate, or chocolate chips to the custard mixture, before pouring into the pie shell. For a nice "Southern" twist, you can add a tablespoon of Bourbon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment