This recipe is a great bread substitute when you are trying to eat healthy and lose weight, or if you are diabetic. Properly stored, it has a good bready texture and slightly sweet taste. Just right for sandwiches, short cake desserts, even pizza crust! Zero carbs and extremely LOW in calories. It has been a life saver on my weight loss journey and I hope it helps other people too.
Cloud Bread (Woopsie Bread)
3 eggs, yolks separated and kept in a bowl
3 tablespoons sour cream (yogurt or softened cream cheese can substitute)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 packet sugar substitute
1. Mix sugar substitute, cream cheese and egg yolks until smooth and creamy.
2. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy with stiff peaks (almost like whipped cream).
3. Add half the yolk mixture to the egg whites a VERY GENTLY fold them into the egg whites until well combined, to avoid deflating the egg whites. Do not be tempted to quickly stir-- only fold. Repeat with the second half of yolk mixture.
4. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet to prevent bread from sticking. Spoon egg micture onto baking sheet, spreading them out to make 3 inch circles, 1/2 inch thick. Bake 30 minutes, or until light brown.
5. Remove from oven. Allow to cool a few minutes, then gently beel bread circles off parchment paper. Serve immediately. Or quickly place in a plastic zip bag or tight sealed container (while still warm) to keep bread soft. Bread will become crumbly and fall apart easily if it is left out.