This is my favorite homemade brownie recipe. Its very much like a box mix. In any cake/brownie recipe, I always use cake flour. It really makes a world of difference. But usually regular flour works fine too. This is just so easy if you don't have the boxed mix, and most of the ingredients are already in the average baker's pantry (well, some may need to buy the cocoa powder...). Great with a scoop of ice cream on top. If you keep these covered, they will be nice and chewy.
Homemade Brownies (from scratch, simple)
¾ cup vegetable oil
1 ½ cups sugar
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
¾ cups flour (cake flour is best)
1/3 cup + 2 ½ tbsp cocoa powder
¼ + 1/8 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 inch square baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, and vanilla extract.
3. Add eggs one at a time, and blend well (you can use an electric beater for this, on low).
4. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
5. Slowly add the egg mixture to flour mixture, until well combined.
6. Pour batter into the pan, and spread evenly.
7. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs. After cutting the brownies in 2-inch squares, you will need a spatula to remove them. Allow them to rest of a plate, and cover them.
TIP: After cooling brownies to room temperature, you can spread a thin layer of Nutella over the top, and sprinkle with crushed hazelnuts, or any other nuts you like. You can also add chopped walnuts to the batter before baking.