Herhsey's Chocolate Cake
1 3/4 cups flour (cake flour is best)
3/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
6 tbsp butter, softened
2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
½ cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1/3 cup whole milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare the icing by first blending the powdered sugar with the butter thoroughly. Add cocoa, milk and vanilla, beat on low with electric mixer until thoroughly blended. Let chill in fridge until ready to use. Stir again, just before frosting.
3. Lightly grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans, or 1 large pan (13x9-inch).
4. In a mixing bowl, sift together dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda). Set aside.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, salt, eggs (whisking in 1 at a time), milk, oil, vanilla, and water (adding water slowly while mixing).
6. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Beat with electric mixer on low speed for 2 minutes, until smooth. Pour batter evenly into pan(s).
7. If you are using 2 nine-inch pans, bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
8. If using one 13x9-inch pan, bake 35 to 40 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature before removing from pan and / or frosting. Frost cake with icing and serve.